Veteran of the Year
The Putnam County Veteran Service Commission will be hosting the eighth Annual Putnam County Veteran of the Year Recognition dinner. This event will recognize a Putnam County Veteran that has been nominated and selected for the 2022 Veteran of the Year. This award was established to highlight exemplary achievement by a Putnam County Veteran beyond the call of duty with their accomplishments out of the uniform. The Veteran of the Year Award recognizes and honors an exceptional veteran through their character, spirit and exceptional public service.
Nominations for 2022 Putnam County Veteran of the Year are due to this office by 30 September 2022.
The prerequisites for nominating are:
1. Nominee must reside in Putnam County, Ohio.
2. Nominee must be an Honorably Discharged Veteran of any era, any age, race, or gender that served in the Military for other than training purposes.
3. Veteran whose recent personal experience and achievements embodies the spirit of professional excellence, personal sacrifice and community involvement.
4. Nominee shows significant off-duty community service work that highlights the commitment to veterans and public service.
5. Veteran nominated does not have to be a member of any veterans post and/or chapter.
6. Veteran nominated must be willing to participate in the recognition dinner held on October 22, 2022 at the American Legion Post 516: 412 Plum St, Columbus Grove OH 45830.
Nominees may be individuals who promote volunteer work for veterans and civic programs in Putnam County and all of Ohio. The distinguished service does not necessarily means hours spent at the Veterans Administration or local veteran’s post. Nominees should display selfless service and community service to better the lives of veterans and citizens of Putnam County and the state of Ohio.
The Putnam County Veterans Service Commission will sponsor this event. Nominations will be reviewed by the Commissioners who then select the Putnam County Veteran of the year for 2022 (Present Putnam County Veterans Commissioners and staff are ineligible for nomination).
The Putnam County Veterans Service Commission must receive all nominations no later than 4:00 pm Friday, September 30, 2022.
Tickets will be available at the Columbus Grove American Legion on the 7th of September 2022. Phone: 419-659-5402. If you have any further questions or need to determine eligibility of a veteran please feel free to call our office at 419-523-4478.
This picture was taken at Putnam County Veteran of the Year dinner of 2015 Veteran of the Year Walter Trenkamp, and fellow nominees; Alvin “Dick” Schroeder, Thaddeus Schroeder and (back) Daniel Swick, Paul Vaughn, Thomas Rosenbauer and Gary Baxter. Also included in the picture is the guest speaker chief operating office of the Ohio Department of Veterans Services Timothy Espich.